St. Vincent's Home
St. Vincent's Home was founded in 1855 with the assistance of Philadelphia's fourth bishop and America's first male saint, Bishop John Neumann. Saint Katherine Drexel and her family also contributed significantly to the work of St. Vincent's Home, which was located for most of its history on a riverfront property in the Tacony section of the city. Originally a residence and school for orphans of German immigrants, the program has over the years evolved to respond to changing times and needs. Today, St. Vincent's Home is a community-based residential program that provides long-term residential services for over 60 at-risk adolescent girls who are referred by the city's Department of Human Services. These young women, who generally lack safe and supportive home environments, now reside in group homes throughout the community, which facilitates their integration into local schools and provides a more home-like environment for them. Some are pregnant or already with a child, and are placed in either a residential Maternity or Mother/Baby Program that is tailored to their particular needs for pre-natal care, parenting education, and child care support while returning to school, job training, or work.
For more information, please visit StVincentHome.org